Friday, February 09, 2007
Posting: http://raindrop.msresearch.us/id/1000146/default.aspx
Defining Mobile Social Software (with your help)
Posted: Jul 15, 2004 2:59 AM I have been working/thinking in the mobile social space for the last year and see it as three distinct areas. See if my classification system makes sense and give me your feedback.
Anytime/Anyplace Coordination and Convergence: Providing loose or tightly defined groups to chat and plan activities. Systems like 'upoc', and 'blah' mainly focus on more-anonymous group communication; 'swarm' is meant for smaller intimate groups to keep in touch and coordinate on-the-fly. My feeling is that 'dodgeball' is less for coordination but more about last minute convergence through location broadcasting.
Proximity-based profile sharing: The dream of any single person, being able to walk into a bar/club and find out who are the single men and women. Better yet, who are the single men and women who like the same activities that you do or who know some of your friends. While the lovegety is the original high tech love beacon, systems like 'mobule', and 'proxidating' have taken it to the next level by allowing you to setup a profile and filter people based on different features.
Mobile Social Games: This is not like walking in the park with your gameboy! These are games that get you off the couch and interacting with other people. I have heard about games like 'noderunner', and 'digital street games' but don't know much about them first hand. If anyone has played any mobile social game, please let me know about your experience.
The other areas that I haven't classified yet are things like mobile photo blogging which fall more in the realm of long term community building. I am ending this post with a big question mark for people to contribute how they see this space and what aspects they think I need to include.
Defining Mobile Social Software (with your help)
Posted: Jul 15, 2004 2:59 AM I have been working/thinking in the mobile social space for the last year and see it as three distinct areas. See if my classification system makes sense and give me your feedback.
Anytime/Anyplace Coordination and Convergence: Providing loose or tightly defined groups to chat and plan activities. Systems like 'upoc', and 'blah' mainly focus on more-anonymous group communication; 'swarm' is meant for smaller intimate groups to keep in touch and coordinate on-the-fly. My feeling is that 'dodgeball' is less for coordination but more about last minute convergence through location broadcasting.
Proximity-based profile sharing: The dream of any single person, being able to walk into a bar/club and find out who are the single men and women. Better yet, who are the single men and women who like the same activities that you do or who know some of your friends. While the lovegety is the original high tech love beacon, systems like 'mobule', and 'proxidating' have taken it to the next level by allowing you to setup a profile and filter people based on different features.
Mobile Social Games: This is not like walking in the park with your gameboy! These are games that get you off the couch and interacting with other people. I have heard about games like 'noderunner', and 'digital street games' but don't know much about them first hand. If anyone has played any mobile social game, please let me know about your experience.
The other areas that I haven't classified yet are things like mobile photo blogging which fall more in the realm of long term community building. I am ending this post with a big question mark for people to contribute how they see this space and what aspects they think I need to include.
Comments:
Post a Comment